Why Set Bag Limits
Permitting residents to set out unlimited waste creates no incentive to participate in recycling or any other waste diversion activities. Setting limits at 5 or more bags/week has no effect on increasing diversion and should only be considered as a soft start to achieving the ultimate goal of transitioning to 1 bag/week. Read more
Municipalities typically cite the following 5 reasons for adopting bag limits:
- To increase waste diversion and/or extend existing landfill life.
- Take the first step to introduce new alternative waste diversion options, e.g. Green Bin.
- To increase awareness of the volume/cost of waste generated by residents.
- Encourage residents to become personally responsible for their own waste generation.
- Increase community environmental responsibility.
Critical to the success of any new bag limit policy is:
- Taking the time to understand your residents’ current waste generation habits.
- Setting a meaningful initial bag limit supported by most residents.
- Heavily promoting the new policy and reasons for its adoption.