That CIF withdraw the WUP Amendment proposal submitted to RPRA in November 2022, and that CIF staff prepare for consideration at the March CIF governance meetings an:
- Operations Plan and Budget for the remainder of 2023, and an
- Administrative WUP and Budget for 2024 (or at the termination of operations).
Both items are to be based on the currently approved WUP wherein CIF terminates operations effective December 31, 2023, with completion of administrative closure by mid 2024.
Additionally, consideration that:
- The Transition Services Committee may consider a one-year extension of the CIF operations timeline, at a later date in 2023, that outlines specific actions and supports required by members.
- And, that any consideration of a disbursement in the 2023 CIF Operating Budget provide for a sufficient reserve fund balance that permits continued operations through 2024.
- Letter to RPRA re: CIF WUP Amendment Withdrawal (February 17, 2023) – this letter explains the rationale for withdrawing the amendment proposal from further consideration.
Background: WUP Amendment Proposal Consultation
Between October 4, 2022, and November 4, 2022, the Continuous Improvement Fund (CIF) and the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA or the Authority) consulted on CIF’s Windup Plan (WUP) Amendment Proposal.
The proposal outlines details for an early windup of CIF at the end of 2022 instead of 2023 and the transfer of its resources and assets, including approximately $9.64M in surplus funds currently designated for disbursement to individual municipalities, recycling associations and First Nations communities, to the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) and its subsidiary Local Services Authority (LAS) – AMO/LAS.
AMO is proposing to use CIF surplus funds to continue some of the current activities undertaken by CIF and otherwise use the funds to continue supporting municipalities, recycling associations, and First Nations communities in the transition to Ontario’s extended producer responsibility framework, as well as post-transition support.
CIF Windup Plan Amendment Proposal for Consultation (updated
November 3, 2022)
- CIF Windup Plan Amendment Proposal for Consultation – updated November 3, 2022
- CIF Windup Plan Amendment Proposal Consultation Report – December 7, 2022
- RPRA Approval Letter – December 7, 2022
CIF Consultation Part 2: Multi-Year Strategic Priorities and Objectives
Two more sessions were held in response to feedback received thus far in the CIF Windup Plan Amendment Proposal Consultation series.
During these sessions, we presented a preliminary plan for the Multi-Year Strategic Priorities and Objectives. The presentation formed the basis for for local communities to offer input and feedback for Option 3, outlined in Section 4.3 of the Amendment Proposal, ultimately informing future revisions to the Proposal.
- Session 1: Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. – COMPLETED
- Session 2: Friday, October 28, 2022, 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. – COMPLETED
For questions, please contact Jessica Landry.
CIF Consultation Part 1: October 5, 6 & 18, 2022
CIF and RPRA staff hosted joint presentations and facilitated discussion on the proposal.
- Session 1: Wednesday, October 5, 2022, 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. – COMPLETED
- Session 2: Thursday, October 6, 2022, 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. – COMPLETED
- Session 3: Tuesday, October 18, 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. – COMPLETED
[N.B: The consultation webinars scheduled for October 5 and October 6 are previously scheduled CIF working group sessions that are being repurposed for the CIF WUP Amendment Proposal consultation.]
A consultation report summarizing the feedback received and how the feedback was considered in the final decision will also be posted to RPRA and CIF’s website.