As a first step towards this goal, the CIF has published the summary results from year one of the CIF/Stewardship Ontario jointly funded waste composition studies.
This waste composition study funding is planned for three years, so we will be updating this report at the completion of each study period. Plan to check back regularly to get access to the most up-to-date information.
What is this data useful for?
The data published in this report is useful for program operators in assessing key factors from their programs, versus others in the province, or as proxy for when recent data on your own program is unavailable.
Key factors to consider:
- Generation: the amount of Blue Box material set-out for collection in both the garbage and recycling streams (potentially in green bins as well)
- Capture: the amount of accepted Blue Box material placed correctly in the recycling stream
- Non-acceptable (contamination): the amount of materials that are not accepted in the Blue Box program which have been placed incorrectly in the recycling stream
- Municipal group: data has been summarized by study and municipal group. This allows users to compare their municipality versus another in the same Datacall
- Seasonality: the data has been summarized seasonally to help program operators understand and quantify the impact of this factor.
Learn more about the CIF funding of waste composition studies.
Contact CIF Staff
CIF staff is always ready to help. Please contact any member of the team to discuss your issues and questions.