On August 15, 2019, the Honourable Jeff Yurek, Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks directed the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA) and Stewardship Ontario (SO) to, amongst other things, develop a plan to windup the existing Blue Box Program Plan (BBPP) and the CIF as soon as practical and by no later than December 31, 2025. In light of the Minister’s direction and recognizing the operation of the CIF is a requirement of Section 6.6 of the BBPP, RPRA requested that the CIF submit recommendations regarding the windup of its operations.
The draft plan lays out a timeline to windup the CIF in accordance with the Minister’s directives and amends the CIF’s strategic plan for operation of the Fund prior to, and during, windup in a manner that is intended to meet the needs of its stakeholders without interfering with the timely windup of the Fund. The plan outlines key considerations used to develop the proposed windup timeline such as the need to fulfill existing contractual obligations and provide support to municipalities preparing to transition their programs.
The plan’s timeline currently proposes to:
- Cease provision of grants as of September 30, 2021;
- Continue delivery of transitional and program support services with emphasis being placed on transitional support activities up until December 31, 2023;
- Cease public operations on December 31, 2023; and
- Initiate a windup of the CIF’s operations in 2024 with an expectation that such activities will be completed by no later than June 30, 2024.
A new governance model for the operation of the CIF is proposed to take effect upon gazetting of the new program regulation. The plan also provides for the disbursal of any remaining CIF funds up to, and upon, termination of the Fund.
Consultation open for feedback until November 10, 2020.
The RPRA has begun consultations on Stewardship Ontario’s (SO) proposed plan to wind-up the Blue Box Program and transition it to the new Individual Producer Responsibility (IPR) framework. Full details are at RPRA.ca.
On October 16, Managing Director of the CIF, Mike Birett, presented on the CIF Windup Plan, as part of RPRA’s consultation process.
Send in your feedback
- Do you support the strategy or have any suggestions?
- Does the timeline work for you?
- Is the disbursal of funds appropriate?
Please ensure you provide your comments about the CIF Windup Plan in writing to CIF or RPRA by no later than 5 p.m. on November 10, 2020. Feedback received on or before the deadline will be considered by CIF Committee as part of its final recommendations to RPRA.